Friday, April 27, 2012

Growth!

This weekend I plan to return to Haymarket (this time with a plan and a shopping list) and also hopefully bake (and take pictures of) many successful foods. Also on the "to do" list this weekend - transplant the pea plants. I already had to rig one up, with questionable success.

My pea plants. The tallest had fallen over when I woke up yesterday, so I tied it to a chopstick with a broken hairband. A temporary solution at best. On the far left are two pepper sprouts - I had another emerge within the past three days! Still nothing from the English pea plants, though.

 It's been raining off and on this week, so I haven't felt the need to water the plants. I have started watering the seed trays, and just this morning I did a thinning of some of the cells, so that I have no more than three seedlings per cell (most of them only have two - I couldn't bring myself to pluck out all but one - what happens if that one fails!?). I also moved them from the bathroom to a place where they will get at least a few hours of afternoon sun in my living room. Unfortunately I don't have room on my window ledge leading to my iron patio, where they would probably get more direct sunlight.

My other seed tray, somewhat thinned. The three types of basil are on the right, and I can't remember what I put on the left. I have misplaced my seed diagram, which makes things interesting - good thing I took a picture of it!

My closet kitchen, with the window leading to the iron balcony on the left. Newly purchased (and as yet unused) garden gloves are on the windowsill. What is not visible is the dog food and water bowls that I keep below the window, making access near impossible. I am still looking for an easier way to actually reach the plants than rearranging my entire kitchen every time.

The reason for this post, though, is that when I checked my plants this morning and removed various bits of trees that had blown onto them, I was surprised to move a strawberry leaf and reveal three berries! Because of the view from my kitchen window, I hadn't known they were lurking, so I was super excited to see they all look healthy and in various stages of growth.

Hello, little friends!
I still have to find/create an appropriate lattice for the peas, which I will hopefully put into their new home this evening, so I'll be sure to get pictures of that as well as any food this weekend. The weather is forecast to be quite cold this weekend with a nightly low for both Saturday and Sunday at freezing - so I may bring my plants inside each night. I just hope my dog doesn't try to eat them.

She certainly looks innocent enough.



No comments:

Post a Comment