Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Diagramming seed trays


My first triumph when I got home from Home Depot was miraculously discovering that I hadn't bought duplicates of any seed packets, despite not keeping track of what I originally purchased at Target. I stuck mainly to herbs and ended up with three types of basil (lemon, genovese, and sweet) - perhaps overkill, although basil is the one herb that I buy on a regular basis at the grocery store, so I'm sure I can make it work. I did end up with something called "lemon balm" - what is this? On the packet it resembles mint, so perhaps I thought it was when I bought it - or perhaps it is lemon mint? Definitely will be a surprise.

So many seed packets! What hath I wrought?

Several other "regulars" - chives, thyme, rosemary, oregano, cilantro, sage - that I am excited about, although I've actually only used a few in recipes, so I'll have to start saving food ideas! And the first place I'll go to do so is supercook.com - if you haven't heard of this website, it's definitely worth a visit. Basically you can input your entire kitchen contents (and save it, so you only have to do so once!) and it spits back recipes that you can make with the ingredients you currently have. You can stress a certain ingredient - useful if you have some fruit or other item that is about to expire or go bad - or ex out an ingredient or category of food, in case you are vegetarian or gluten-free or whatever else. It's a great place to get inspiration for trying something new in the kitchen, and although I've had some less than impressive meals from it, I've also found at least two recipes that are now part of my standard repertoire.

My first issue when starting the seed trays was the question of how many seeds to put in each cell, and how many cells to plant for each seed packet. The scientist in me went to work, and I started to wonder about what percentage of seeds actually sprout and how many plants of each I would use. Luckily, my PhD training has prepped me for such difficult questions, and I quickly whipped up a first-rate diagram. I planted three cells for each herb (save for chives) and four for the two pea varieties as well as a sweet pepper mix. Definitely way too many, and I've already started fishing around for friends who may be interested in their own herb garden in case they all sprout.

My awesome seed tray diagrams. Don't be jealous.

I rolled up the carpet in my living room and went to work. I made quite a mess, spilling water and dirt from the dry pellets that expanded over the sides of the trays. Luckily I bought a broom just last week to replace the one whose handle was used as a pinata bat several months ago (yep, that happened). I started carefully pressing two seeds into each cell, but by the time I got to the lemon basil I had already gone cross eyed trying to count the tiny seeds. I started just throwing a pinch into each - I can always thin them later, right? I also didn't think to check how deep I should be planting seeds until I was to the pea plants. Hope that the herbs are flexible on that!

The final problem came when I read the last step on the tray instructions: place in a warm place away from direct sunlight until the seeds sprout in 7-10 days. Hmm. I have no control over the heat in my apartment, and I think it's already been turned off in anticipation of summer. My dog had already shown a distinct interest in the trays as I was planting them, so I needed to get them off the floor. Unfortunately my apartment has a serious lack of counter space. The table in my living room is where I work, eat, and I'm already constantly fighting clutter on it. The only other option was the bathroom. So I moved around my lotions and that's where they went. I'm not sure how important the environs is for seeds to sprout, but I'm sure I won't be able to resist peeking under the germination sheets daily to check how they are progressing!

One of the trays in its semi-final resting place. Yes, I have too many lotions.

4 comments:

  1. Well: my input on things- first of all- YAY FOR GARDENS!!! :)
    Lemon balm is wonderful. Used in tea, icing/ice cream flavoring. It is related to mint, but tastes lemony (maybe not as strong or "zingy" as true citrus.) Can be used on fish or in pestos. It also has a tendency to take over gardens, but since you are container gardening, it shouldn't be a problem.
    And a bathroom will probably be a good place to sprout your seeds. Warm, damp, and no direct sunlight. It won't be a problem to check under the sheets daily, though you do want to be careful not to drown the seeds. You will sit and wait and be sure that none of them are going to live, then one day, the first little shoot will appear, and then they'll all take off, and the world will be happy to have more little green things in it.
    -Arielle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Arielle! Thanks for the info on lemon balm - I'll probably try it on fish. I may only transplant one or two of the plants to the window box.

      And yes! I went through the paranoia of thinking I'd managed to kill all my seeds, but I just checked yesterday and there are the first little sprouts, which is super exciting. Thyme seems to be sprouting quickly, but just this morning I found my first pea shoot, which I am thrilled about!

      Delete
  2. This is such a science-y post - yay for an excuse to make more diagrams!!! :)
    I'm so excited to see how this progresses - I don't have that much space (or, you know, patience) so I just went with the pre-sprouted plants. So far it has rained most of the days since I planted them, so my fingers are crossed that nature will take better care than I. I can't believe you already have seen a pea shoot! Awesome :)
    Oh, and thanks for the supercook link. In all of our crossover, how have we never discussed this? I'm about to go use it for dinner planning purposes :)
    Keep writing - it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - I'm putting my PhD skills to good use! I'll put up some pictures of the seed trays soon - when I checked this morning I had at least 8 cells that were starting to sprout, but I haven't confirmed which herbs they are.

      And yes! I thought we had talked about supercook.com - it's absolutely amazing, and has several other features I use that I didn't talk about. So much fun for exploring/procrastinating.

      Delete