Saturday, August 18, 2012

Can I go shopping yet?

It is Day 6 of my self-imposed no groceries, and I've decided I need to set the rules quickly, as I can sense my willpower slowly receding and being replaced by the urge to hit up a grocery store or a weekend farmer's market.

The Rules:

1. There shall be an initial two week ban on any food products entering the apartment.
2. Once the initial ban is lifted, all products purchased must be fresh/perishable (eg, dairy products, fruits, vegetables, eggs). Preferably organic or local.*
3. Items purchased must allow for progress to be made on at least two food articles currently inside the apartment - this can be two separate recipes, each helping to rid of one item, or one recipe that would use up two items.

*Ok, really this is just an excuse to seek out and troll farmer's markets and Haymarket while all the fall harvesting is happening. Because that is some tasty stuff.

We'll see how this works. Last night I was so proud of myself for baking up some crusted haddock from Target that I impulse bought last month, and adding some corn salsa from TJs that was sitting on my shelf. "This is awesome," I thought. "I'm going to be done in just a few weeks at this rate!" (I like to delude myself. It's an important part of surviving the PhD process).

My dinner, before. That red clearance tag might as well be a siren singing when I'm wandering the Target aisles.

My dinner, after. Honestly, the fish wasn't bad, I just need to find a better way to dress it up.
The problem is that, frankly, it wasn't as delicious as I imagined it would be when a starving me plucked it from the Target freezer, and now I have another 2 baked fish pieces sitting in my refrigerator for reheating.

I'm sorry to report the first collateral damage: I lost an avocado and all the grapefruit. I checked the avocado just a few days ago and it wasn't quite ripe - but apparently it turned the corner rather quickly. The grapefruit also seemed to go fast - probably should've kept them in the fridge. Live and learn! I'll have to choose my produce carefully when I let myself back into the grocery store to prevent such future tragedies.

No comments:

Post a Comment